Purging contents

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jan 21 12:38:05 CET 2009

In message <75cf5800901210319j1a2741bdp171bdffad920b6df at mail.gmail.com>, Paras
Fadte writes:

>Does  it mean that 200 code doesn't have any relation to the object
>being  or not being there  in the cache ? Does it only mean then that
>the purge command was successfully executed ?

It only means that the purge was succesfully added to the list of
purges.

The way purges work in varnish is that we have a list of purge
commands which gets checked against the objects on demand, in
other words, when you have a cache hit, the purges that have
come in since the last time this object was hit will be checked
to make sure we can still deliver it.

We do not start walking, the possibly several million, objects
in the cache every time you use the purge command.