Cacheability - changed in Varnish 2?

Anton Stonor stonorn at giraffen.dk
Tue Jan 27 14:54:44 CET 2009

Hi there,

Is it just me, my setup or has "cacheable" classification changed
between Varnish 1 and Varnish 2?

In the old days you could just say e.g.

sub vcl_fetch {
         set obj.ttl = 1d;
}

and Varnish would cache everything for one day.

I Varnish 2 it looks like the objects must have either "Cache-Control"
or "Expires" to be cached at all -- and then you can tamper with obj.ttl
afterwards. If the backend doesn't set those headers, "set obj.ttl"
doesn't seem have any effect.

It feels a bit limiting compared to the old days. If I want to cache
more aggressive its much easier just to change a few lines in the
Varnish conf than adding cache headers to the backend.

So is there a way to configure Varnish 2 to cache objects with no cache
headers?

/Anton