[varnish] renaming varnish concepts...

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jan 28 11:44:28 CET 2009

In message <D0D631E2-5DC8-4B89-B496-47DE2BEA88E0 at digitalmarbles.com>, Ricardo N
ewbery writes:

>> 1.  Purge vs. Ban
>> -----------------
>
>Can you explain what is the effective difference between a real purge
>and a ban?  Would both still kill all the Vary siblings?  Other than
>possibly releasing the memory quicker, I'm not sure why I should
>care   :-)

The sematics I would like to have:

expire:
	Can be done to an object found as cache hit.

	The object is marked as expired at this point in time, but
	may still be eligble for grace service.

purge:
	Can be done to an object found as cache hit.

	The object is gone as of this moment, and will never be
	seen again.

ban:
	Put a ban on an object, which takes effect if it is subject
	to a cache hit later on.

I would like expire & purge to have an option of also acting on all
other "Vary:" versions of an object.

I would also like a bans to have an option as to what they do to
banned objects: expire, purge (and option for taking all Varys.

expire & purge would only be available from VCL.

ban would be available from VCL or CLI.