Cacheability - changed in Varnish 2?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jan 28 11:55:56 CET 2009

In message <4980320C.8030306 at giraffen.dk>, Anton Stonor writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> Can you get me varnishlog of such a request ?  I'm not able to
>> tell from your description which path we're talking about.
>
>Sure, just thought this was intended behavior so I wouldn't bore with
>details. Here we go.

Well, it may be intentional, I can't tell without the details :-)

>Running Varnish 2.0.2 on Ubuntu, has tested on Debian Etch 64bit as well.

>     9 VCL_call     c hash
>     9 VCL_return   c hash
>     9 HitPass      c 1998529216
>     9 VCL_call     c pass
>     9 VCL_return   c pass

This is the important bit, you have a cached object that says this
object cannot be cached, but should be passed.

As long as that object exists, you will always hit pass.

These "magic" objects are created when vcl_fetch() takes "pass" as
action.

>Same backend header, just added a cache-control request key. Succes:

Not really, you are still doing a pass:

>     9 VCL_call     c hash
>     9 VCL_return   c hash
>     9 HitPass      c 1998529216
>     9 VCL_call     c pass
>     9 VCL_return   c pass

If you have your varnish-log, the XID 1998529216 is the one to
look for, that created the "hit-for-pass" object for some
reason.