Breaking Varnish

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jan 28 21:34:06 CET 2009

In message <F628E190-8DBB-46F9-8973-D9C0B0F67C9F at metaweb.com>, Tim Kientzle wri
tes:

>It also appears that Varnish eventually exits completely
>if placed under high load.  I'm okay with that as long as it's
>intentional behavior;

It is not intentional.

The entire point about the two-process trick is to not ever throw
in the towel if we can avoid it.

That said, there are classes of bugs for which we have no hope,
if for instance the manager process cannot fork or allocate
memory, then we are hosed top and bottom.

>Of course,
>I understand that killing the child and starting a new one
>will also lose the cache, which is obviously not particularly
>desirable under heavy load.

Persistent storage coming up in version 2.1 :-)