Memory spreading, then stop responding

Rob S rtshilston at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 23:35:48 CEST 2009

Darryl Dixon - Winterhouse Consulting wrote:

>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> There have been a few threads about this now on this mailing list.
>>> Probably it relates to the use of purge_url in your VCL. Are you using
>>> this function at all?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Darryl
>>>
>> Darryl,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.  Yes we are using purge_url, but I was under the
>> impression that since http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/changeset/3329,
>> there wasn't a problem.  I've not succeeded in finding the threads you
>> mentioned in your email.  Can you either point me at them, or let me
>> know their conclusion?
>>

> Hi Rob,
>
> See the thread concluding here (the solution to swap purge_url for
> obj.ttl=0 is the correct one):
> http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-misc/2009-April/002743.html
>
> And also the thread concluding here:
> http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-misc/2009-June/002840.html
>
> regards,
> Darryl Dixon
> Winterhouse Consulting Ltd
> http://www.winterhouseconsulting.com

Thanks Darryl.  However, I don't think this solution will work in our
usage.  We're running a blog.  Administrators get un-cached access,
straight through varnish.  Then, when they publish, we issue a purge
across the entire site.  We need to do this as there's various bits of
navigation that'd need to be updated.  I can't see that we can do this
if we set obj.ttl.

Has anyone any recommendations as to how best to deal with purges like this?

Rob