varnish akamai interaction

Ken Brownfield kb+varnish at slide.com
Wed Jul 29 03:24:18 CEST 2009

Quite a coincidence... We've moved some traffic /off/ of Akamai, but
only today did we start stacking.

I don't expect there to be any problems *EXCEPT* in the 304 response
case -- currently Varnish strips the Expires and Cache-Control (among
other) headers from 304 Not Modified responses, which could be
problematic for browsers and Akamai alike.  See ticket #529.

Rogério Schneider wrote a patch which Tollef Fog Heen checked into
trunk.  A version of the patch ported to 2.0.4 is attached to that
ticket, and has been stable in our production 2.0.4 environment for
the last day or two.  Cache and 304 behavior seems correct.

However, it may depend on your Akamai config.  We emit Expires, which
we have Akamai use to control caching.  Our default is to not cache in
the absense of Expires and not touch any headers.  Depending on your
Akamai config, YMMV.

Hope it helps,
--
Ken