Problems getting Varnish to cache certain things

Anders Nordby anders at fupp.net
Mon Jun 15 11:25:09 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 09:42:39PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>If you perform certain actions in vcl_hit, Varnish will mark the object as
>>a 'hit for pass' which means that from then on it will always simply pass
>>every matching request to the backend. A restart clears this. If I recall
>>correctly, one of the triggers is using 'pass' inside vcl_hit or
>>vcl_fetch.
> Only pass in vcl_fetch will create a "hit for pass" object.

Is it possible to clear "hit for pass" objects without restarting? Is
there any TTL for "hit for pass" objects? I'd like a short "hit for
pass" timeout value, I think.

If an object is passed in vcl_fetch due to being !beresp.cacheable, it's
nice to have the object cached one you have removed the obstacles to
have that URL cached. After all, we often do want to cache even though
web developers do mistakes.

Regards,

--
Anders.