Thread memory allocation question

Ken Brownfield kb+varnish at slide.com
Fri Jun 19 09:12:22 CEST 2009

When looking at /proc/map info for varnish threads, I'm seeing the
following allocations in numbers that essentially match the child count:

0000000040111000   8192K rw---    [ anon ]

And this at almost double the child count:

00007f4d57900000   1024K rw---    [ anon ]

For example, for 64 worker threads, I see 69 of the 8192K allocations,
and 121 of the 1024K allocations. For 32 worker threads I see 37 and
82, respectively.

I noticed some pretty intense memory usage when I had a backend issue
and the thread count increased into the hundreds.  Obviously the
threads will need memory as they scale, but are these large
allocations intentional, and are they tunable (beyond the relatively
small workspaces?)

Many thanks,
--
Ken.