vcl_error restart

Darryl Dixon - Winterhouse Consulting darryl.dixon at winterhouseconsulting.com
Mon Jun 22 23:41:27 CEST 2009

Hi Le Roux,

I investigated doing something similar with Varnish a little while ago
when the backend health checks were first included. I decided at the time
that it couldn't achieve what I wanted, so I left that functionality
inside the Pound config one layer down. The way we do this is with Pound's
HAPort directive plus its Emergency Backend.

Thus, Varnish sends all traffic regularly to Pound, and then Pound onwards
to your regular Django webapp. Pound monitors the health of your Django
webapp with connections to an 'HAPort' that you control (all it has to do
is accept connections and close them straight away to indicate that the
Django webapp is working). When you want to restart Django, you first shut
down the HAPort, then afterward shut down/restart Django. Once it's up
again the HAPort is restarted. You can probably automate this (we did with
Zope).

The key is that when Pound detects that the HAPort goes down, it wants to
send the traffic somewhere, so you specify an 'Emergency' backend (backend
of last resort) which points to your custom cache server. While the HAPort
is down, all traffic will go there.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas anyway.

regards,
Darryl Dixon
Winterhouse Consulting Ltd
http://www.winterhouseconsulting.com