Intermittent latency issues on Solaris 10

Igor Minar iiminar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 09:10:52 CET 2009

Hi Folks!

I'm trying set up a Varnish instance on Solaris 10 and I'm facing some
weird issue there. I was wondering if anyone could give me some
insight into what's going on.

After applying a few patches (I submited all of them to Trac), I was
able compile Varnish 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 with Sun Studio compiler. Varnish
starts and is able to handle requests, but from time to time, I see
multi-second latency when executing requests. As if varnish "hung" for
a few seconds. This latency occurs for cache hits and is not caused by
the backed app.

Interesting thing is that I don't see this issue on OpenSolaris 2008.11.

Here is to visualize what I see:
correct behavior on opensolaris: http://skitch.com/me3x/bf7j2/varnish-on-opensolaris
incorrect behavior on solaris10: http://skitch.com/me3x/bf7kr/varnish-on-solaris10

As you can see, on Solaris 10 there are at 3 requests that took more
than 4 seconds to execute. I checked varnish logs and all of them were
cache hits.

In the screenshots above, there was no other traffic hitting the
server except for my single browser.

The problem is quite easily reproducible.

thanks,
Igor