Trying to use X-Backend to select backend

Bernardf FRIT bernard at frit.net
Mon Nov 2 13:49:36 CET 2009

Tollef Fog Heen  :

Hi,
> | I'm just wondering which solution is best :
> | - varnish as frontend to haproxy
> | - haproxy as frontend to varnish
>
> Either should work fine, but test.  You could just also move all static
> content to a different host name and let haproxy be the dynamic one and
> varnish the static one.

I did the tests. Varnish as frontend to haproxy is much more convenient to
configure. Just a matter of minutes. On the other side haproxy as frontend
to varnish is much more tricky and seems to need fine tuning as I had some
timeout problems.

IMHO Varnish as frontend to haproxy is actually a KISS solution.

--
Bernard FRIT