Strange behaviour

Andreas Haase andreas.haase at evolver.de
Wed Nov 18 09:52:22 CET 2009

Hello,

we are using varnish v2.0.4 in a setup with 4 backend servers. The
varnish is configured to use the backends with loadbalancing in a
round-robin fashion and all worked well until some days ago. Until we
removed 2 of the backends we had a cache ratio (total requests compared
to totalfetches) of 80 percent. After removing 2 of the backends the
ratio is only 57 percent now. The only change to varnish configuration
has been to remove the backends that are not operational any more. The
data to be cached has not been changed.

And now I'm wondering what is the reason for that behaviour? I could
imagine this when there had been a changed of content to cache or
something else. Anyone here who could give me a possible explanation for
that?

Thanks in advance.
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Andreas Haase

Administration und Technik
evolver services GmbH

Fon     +49 / (0)3 71 / 4 00 03 727
Fax     +49 / (0)3 71 / 4 00 03 79

E-Mail  andreas.haase at evolver.de
Web     http://www.evolver.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft:  Chemnitz
Handelsregister:        Amtsgericht Chemnitz, HRB 22649
Geschaeftsfuehrer:      Dirk Neubauer