Excluding url's from varnishhist

Paul Dowman lists at pauldowman.com
Fri Oct 2 22:25:58 CEST 2009

Hi,
I'm having trouble figuring out how to exclude certain URL's from
varnishhist. I want to exclude static files, e.g. urls that match a pattern
like /\.png|\.gif|\.js|\.css|\.ico/ (because these don't cause much load on
the back-end, I want to see only the requests that would hit my app
servers).

I know about the -X regex argument, but it doesn't seem to do what I want.
Actually I don't really understand what it does, the man page says that it
excludes "log entries" that match a pattern, but as far as I can tell it
doesn't match URL's.

What's the right way to do this?

BTW, it's almost impossible to search the mailing list archives here because
it seems to search all lists and my query matches hundreds of messages from
the varnish-commit list, so I apologize if this has been answered before.

Thanks,
Paul