Varnish virtual memory usage

Roi Avinoam roi at metacafe.com
Wed Oct 21 15:07:00 CEST 2009

Thanks for your reply.

1. What I did was create 100 simultaneous processes, and each process requested the same page (with 'curl'):
	a. Once with the exact same URL - which resulted in a 99.9% hit-ratio and VERY high performance on varnish.
	b. And once with a random key that changes the URL (something like 'index.php?rand=193837364'), thus forcing Varnish to hit the backend, and store the multiple objects in memory.
	c. A combination of the two - in an attempt to maintain a 60-70% hit-ratio.

What we saw is that the kernel simply filled all of the RAM *and* the swap until it crashed.

2. I'm sorry, but I'm still confused about the mmaped file. If it's limited to 1G, Varnish shouldn't use more than 1G of virtual memory, correct? Or in our setup - 1G of RAM?

Thanks again :)

--
Roi