varnish with authirsed requests

Rob Ayres quasirob at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 27 14:27:18 CET 2009

Hi,

My client machine (actually another server generating requests) is creating
POST requests to varnish which also include basic HTTP authentication.

I've got varnish caching POST requests from my browser by changing the line
in vcl_recv to this:

    if (req.request != "GET" && req.request != "HEAD" && req.request !=
"POST")

So caching POSTs isnt a problem but I cant get it to cache the client
requests from the client server because it is using authorisation (the
authorisation is hard coded )

In vcl_recv I also commented out the "if (req.http.Authorization ||
req.http.Cookie) {" section and also added "unset req.http.Authorization;"
but neither made any difference, every request shows up as a "Cache hits for
pass".

I'd be grateful for any suggestions anyone has.

Rob