Varnish memory consumption issues?

pub crawler pubcrawler.com at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:36:25 CEST 2009

Thanks Kristian for the explanation.

I posted this, and I believe it likely was our issue - perhaps not
starting Cherokee with proper parameters included. Our configuration
is pretty barbones default per se.

What is troubling is 153GB is more resources than this machine has RAM
+ disk combined. Stumped as to how Varnish or the OS would allocate
all this memory when the resources not there.

It's worth noting that we changed our commandline to spawn Varnish and
Varnish seems to be more reasonable with memory now:
5775 nobody    20   0 4363m 169m 162m S    1  8.6   1:00.03 varnishd

4GB is the size of the cache file we setup for Cherokee so VIRT is
right on consumption wise.  RES memory at 169m is quite fine /
reasonable also. These numbers seem to what others experience right?

-Paul