Flushing buffer during page delivery

Daniel Baker dbaker-varnish-misc at flightaware.com
Wed Sep 2 17:26:31 CEST 2009

Hello --

We have our apache children flush the buffer when generating a page
after emitting the JS/CSS includes, after emitting the page framework,
etc.  However, despite that we're flushing the buffer to Varnish, it
doesn't seem to deliver any of the data to the user until the page is
complete.  Although the page generation time is minimal, flushing the
buffer early lets the user's browser start pulling dependencies while
apache spends another 100ms or so delivering the rest of the page.

Is there any way to get Varnish to flush the buffer regularly or
accomplish this in some way?

Thanks!

Daniel Baker