performance scalability of a multi-core

Ken Brownfield kb+varnish at slide.com
Thu Sep 10 18:32:46 CEST 2009

My weapon of choice there would be oprofile, run something like this
under high load and/or when you have a lot of threads active:

opcontrol --init
# You'll want a debug kernel
# For example, the Ubuntu package is linux-image-debug-server
opcontrol --setup --vmlinux=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.24-server
opcontrol --reset ; opcontrol --start ; sleep 60 ; opcontrol --stop
opreport -r -l (with and without -l)

At the bottom you'll see the most costly calls and any obvious stand-
outs.  My runs on Varnish show an interestingly high amount of
timezone stuff in libc, but no real low-hanging fruit.
--
kb