Dropped connections with tcp_tw_recycle=1

Nick Loman nick at loman.net
Sun Sep 20 08:27:39 CEST 2009

Hi Sven,

I don't know the basis precise for it, but I can vouch for the fact that
tcp_tw_recycle is incompatible with NAT on the server side. I would
guess it is because the NAT gateway keeps a connection tracking list and
is unhappy that the webserver is trying to reuse the same ip:port hash
whilst it is registered in TIME_WAIT mode.

There was a discussion of this previously:
http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-misc/2009-April/002764.html

As you say tw_reuse works OK with NAT.

Cheers,

Nick.