varnish with ssl

Ken Brownfield kb+varnish at slide.com
Thu Apr 8 00:22:10 CEST 2010

My $0.02 agrees with you.

I'd also add that by definition, SSL represents data that is secure between the server and the user.  Caching that data (or having it even pass through a cache) is conceptually incompatible.

Obviously, SSL pages often contain static content (images), which would be nice to serve from a cache.  But there are already easily-applied and scalable SSL solutions to Varnish installations: Varnish's lack of SSL support is essentially irrelevant and entirely /consistent/.

Additionally, if you have various backend webservers (say, Apache plus nginx plus varnish) it's nice to have one common SSL layer to configure and maintain, especially if some of those backends also lack built-in SSL.  Commercial load balancers typically have SSL support and work as that common SSL layer, and Pound is one OSS example.

Varnish is a great caching reverse proxy.  If I want SSL+PHP+LDAP+cache+proxy in one executable (and I don't) there's an app for that.
--
kb