Reducing backend connections

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Thu Apr 8 22:12:10 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Rob S <rtshilston at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For most sites, we use Varnish to do both caching and load balancing.
>  However, for one or two, where it's not currently practical to cache, we
> use it solely for load balancing etc.  What's the best way of using Varnish
> so that the backends aren't kept holding the connections whilst the client
> is patiently downloading?

If you're sure you don't want _any_ caching (not even 1s); pass.

However, if you're clients are downloading ISO images, the whole image
must be fetched from the backend and stored before it is given to the
client. In such conditions it makes sense to use pipe.

--
Per Buer,  Varnish Software
Phone: +47 21 54 41 21 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / skype: per.buer