how storing objects for a given time, regardless of expire info from back-end?

Richard Chiswell richard.chiswell at mangahigh.com
Mon Apr 12 18:23:48 CEST 2010

You'll want something like:

sub vcl_fetch {
unset obj.http.Expires;
unset obj.http.Cache-Control;
set obj.ttl = 60m; // cache for 60 minutes within Varnish
set obj.http.Cache-Control = "public, max-age=2678400"; // cache for 31
days at User end
deliver;
}

However, depending on exactly what you want to cache for who and for how
long (do you want to cache things for people with cookies? do you really
want to cache a 1Gb .avi file within Varnish? etc), the configuration
can get a bit complex.

Rich