Cookies - set on non-cached pages, read on all pages

Rob S rtshilston at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:08:52 CEST 2010

Not quite.  We don't unset the cookies in vcl_recv, but we've ensured
that that function ends with "lookup", so we never hit the default
recipe which would otherwise prevent caching if a cookie was set.

Then, we approximately do something like:

sub vcl_fetch {
    if (obj.ttl > 0) {
       unset obj.http.Set-Cookie;

What this means is that: If the backend thinks the response is
cacheable, then make sure we strip cookies.  If it's not cacheable, then
we don't care if cookies are set or not.

Obviously this can't be applied blindly in front of an arbitrary
backend.  Fortunately, our backends are running apps completely under
our control, so this isn't a worry.

Rob