Trouble using varnishadm

Frank Helmschrott fhelmschrott at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 07:57:27 CET 2010

Hi,

as said in my last thread i'm just in the beginning of exploring
varnish. As i read about people mostly using varnishadm to check there
new vcls and testing them before they activate it, i wanted to try
myself and connect to varnish via varnishadm. Unfortunately this
happens to be much more complicated than i thought. All i get back is
the 'usage' line.

Here's my current setup. Varnishd is started by the RHEL startup
scripts with these daemon_opts:

DAEMON_OPTS="-a :80 \
             -T :6082 \
             -f /etc/varnish/default.vcl \
             -u varnish -g varnish \
             -s file,/var/lib/varnish/varnish_storage.bin,64G"

i've changed -T from localhost:6082 to :6082 as i thought this is
needed to allow purging from other hosts. Is this true? ACL for
purging is set in my VCL file. When i now try to connect with
varnishadm i get this result:

[root at cache01 varnish]# varnishadm -T localhost:6082
usage: varnishadm -T [address]:port command [...]

And then back to the shell. From what i understood is that if i don't
give a command it should connect and give an interactive in/out from
STD OUT. That's at least what Docs for 2.1 say - i have 2.0.6 but i
don't see any possible changes in the doc.

Any help is appreciated. Think this is basic learning stuff i should
know before starting over :)

--
Frank