Varnish 2.1.3 nuking objects from cache

Stefan Pommerening pom at dmsp.de
Fri Dec 17 10:51:13 CET 2010

Hi,

Until today I thought that when varnish (2.1.3) is nuking objects from cache
(counter n_lru_nuked increasing) the reason must be that the cache is full.

My strange situation is:
- varnish 2.1.3 configured -s file,<fname>,20GB
- monitoring using varnishstat -f sm_balloc, sm_bfree
- ~ 15 GB cache used, ~ 5 GB cache free
- counter n_lru_nuked increasing every now and then
   (not rapidly, but occasionally although cache usage is stable at
about 75% now)

What else (other than a full cache) can be the reason for objects being
nuked from cache?
(not expired)

I've read that there was a bug in varnish 2.0.6 with some similar behaviour,
but I am using 2.1.3.

Stefan

--
http://dmsp.de