Survey; how do you use Varnish?

Martin Boer martin.boer at netclever.nl
Tue Feb 2 10:22:38 CET 2010

1) One active server. We have another one as hot standby.

2) 50Mbit, 200 requests/second max. Most of the time it's 10Mbit, 40
requests/second which isn't much.

3) Internet touroperator.

4) Nope

5) Automatic refreshing of data without having the endusers have to wait
for the response.

The reason we use varnish most is because our website has complex,
timeconsuming queries to backend systems. The answers to these queries
do vary several times per day but are still cachable. Of course varnish
also helps te bring down the load on those backend systems but the main
use is that varnish gives the endusers a lightning fast prerendered
interactive experience which is a paradox. We like working paradoxes.

Something like 'refresh pages after object.prefetch seconds if at least
someone requested that object the last object.ttl seconds' where
object.ttl is larger then object.refresh. So an object might be
prefetched even a couple of times without anyone being interested but
will be removed from the cache eventually after object.ttl has expired.

Regards,
Martin Boer