Varnish caching 503 error pages

Ken Brownfield kb+varnish at slide.com
Tue Feb 2 22:52:54 CET 2010

If your default_ttl is not 0, then this may be the expected behavior.  I'm not sure if Varnish should really ever cache >=500 responses?

But in VCL you could do something like:

sub vcl_fetch {
	if ( obj.status >= 500 ) {
		set obj.ttl = 0s;
		set obj.cacheable = false;

Adjusting timeouts for ttl for 404s is also handy.  Hope it helps,
--
Ken