Child panics on OpenSolaris

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Feb 10 14:53:06 CET 2010

In message <282e72051002100615x701a37a8o416c9af6d1d7fd38 at mail.gmail.com>, Paul
Wright writes:

>Thanks for the explanation of what's going on.  Looking at those
>tickets there are suggestions to try the poll waiter which we're
>already using - are there any further tests we could try to help
>narrow down this issue?  I'm happy to assist trying out patches.

I can see three ways to nail this issue:

1. Catch a tcpdump, when it happens, showing that the client side
   did close, and Solaris (incorrectly) returns EBADF.

2. Catch a ktrace/systrace/dtrace, when it happens, that show
   that Varnish incorrectly closes the fd.

3. Setup some synthetic test to show that solaris returns EBADF
   when it shouldn't

If either of those are in your reach, by all means go for it...