locking SHMFILE in core failed: Cannot allocate memory

Tami Lee tami.lee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 01:59:21 CET 2010

When I start Varnishd, I got the error below. Varnish still seems to work,
but what does the error message mean? More importantly, what may not be
working?

$ /usr/sbin/varnishd -a :4080 -T 127.0.0.1:4082 -f /tmp/varnish/test.vcl -s
file,/tmp/varnish/cache/varnish.cache,128M -n /tmp/varnish/working -P
/tmp/varnish/working/pid

storage_file: filename: /tmp/varnish/cache/varnish.cache size 128 MB.
Using old SHMFILE
Notice: locking SHMFILE in core failed: Cannot allocate memory

Thanks!