Connection issues on Solaris 10 (Accept failed: Bad file number)

Jim Hayter jhayter at manta.com
Tue Jan 5 17:33:09 CET 2010

Thanks for the link
(http://letsgetdugg.com/2009/12/04/varnish-on-solaris/).

Following the points there:
1) I am running 2.0.6, which either has or I had already made the edit
for ticket 547.
2) I set connect_timeout to 0 and turned off keep alive in apache.
3) Starting varnishd with "-p waiter=poll" did not work for me (waiter
not recognized), so I rebuilt Varnish using
	./configure --disable-kqueue --disable-epoll --disable-ports
4) FYI, varnishd will not run in the background for me, it always fails
to start the child process.  It works running with the -F flag.

One note about http://letsgetdugg.com/2009/12/04/varnish-on-solaris/,
where it refers to /etc/projects, it should be /etc/project (not
plural).

At this point it appears to be working fine. I left a test running
overnight and it is still going.  The previous tests I did all dumped
core long before this amount of time.

Thank you very much for your help and the link.  I had gone on to look
at using Apache2 as a caching front end to Apache1 but I believe that
Varnish will be the preferred solution.

Jim