Architectural heads-up/call for comments

Rob S rtshilston at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 13:25:46 CET 2010

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> 1.  Kill the magic default VCL.

This will make life a lot simpler for people starting out with Varnish,
and help ensure that those people with advanced configurations don't
overlook something.  I'd like to mutter something here about adding some
form of "return pass", rather than just writing "pass".  This will
further clear up the fact that execution will, at the time your write
"pass" cease.  (Please let me know if I've got this wrong).

> 2.  Client identity

Access to cookies is great, but I don't necessarily think that a
client.ident idea is sensible.  Is the "client" object going to be
persistent between requests?  If so, what other properties will it
have?  If it isn't persistent, then with existing VCL you can create a
.ident property of a req, and use that to switch between pools.  Is this
point really that you want to establish a mechanism for passing
information into more advanced directors?

> 3. Synth replies (and vcl_error{} ?)
>
> I want to make it possible to produce a synthetic reply anywhere
> in VCL...
Great.  Definitely useful.  A use case we had recently, but which we
couldn't implement, was to synthetically generate some information about
the backend pool.  So, we wanted a request for a particular javascript
file to be generated by Varnish and say
"randomhealthbackendhostname='"+be.name+"';".  We couldn't do this, but
it might help guide thinking as to how this might get used.

> I also want to make it possible to suck in the synth body from a
> file

Make sure we can specify the mime type of the synthetic reply!

> (The file will be read at compile-timer!)

Nervous of this.

> 4. VCL conversions

This would definitely be worth doing.  We've got a few bits of config
which could be enormously improved if we could parse header responses
and put them as TTL values etc.  We use varnish in front of some apps
which use session state / cookies / other things that make caching
hard.  So, for apps we've been through and sanitised for varnish, we
specify X-Varnish-Cache-Control which we parse in VCL and use to control
Varnish's own data store, and X-External-Cache-Control, which is what we
present out to the end requestor.  If the response only has
X-Cache-Control, we assume that the app hasn't been
prepared-for-varnish, and thus mustn't be cached by varnish, regardless
of what's specified.  This allows us to fail-safe, but has the impact
that we currently can't set the ttl to the precise value we want.  Your
proposed conversions would enable us to improve our config.
> Thanks for listening, now it's your turn to tell me if this is
> stupid...

Definitely good stuff.  Let us know how we can continue to help.

There's one other thing that I'd like people to comment / think about.
We operate multiple varnish front ends, so that we can cope if one
fails.  How do people distribute purges between them?

Rob