Architectural heads-up/call for comments

Anders Nordby anders at fupp.net
Thu Jan 7 16:20:47 CET 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:46:07AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> 3. Synth replies (and vcl_error{} ?)
> ====================================
>
> I want to make it possible to produce a synthetic reply anywhere
> in VCL, with a syntax something like:
>

> 	sub vcl_recv {
> 		if {req.http.diediedie) {
> 			synth -status 400 -txt "Verdamt!" {"
> 				<HTML blablabla>
> 			"};
> 		}
> 	}
>
> I also want to make it possible to suck in the synth body from a
> file, something like:
>
> 	sub vcl_recv {
> 		if {req.http.diediedie) {
> 			synth -status 400 -txt "Verdamt!" -file "argh.html";
> 		}
> 	}
>
> (The file will be read at compile-timer!)
>

> I am not 100% sure we have any need for vcl_error{} after this change,
> that needs to be figured out.

It it possible to do this while also:

- making it possible to force saint mode without a restart.

- catch requests where you have a cache miss and the backend does not
respond, is too slow or resets the connection.

The combination of these two things, would make me very happy. :)

Regards,

--
Anders.