Strategies for splitting load across varnish instances? And avoiding single-point-of-failure?

Michael Fischer michael at dynamine.net
Sat Jan 16 16:32:28 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Bendik Heltne <bheltne at gmail.com> wrote:

> I must say that i am a bit confused.
> I don't understand the need of routing requests to different varnish
> servers based on hash algorithm. So I am wondering what kind of sites
> are we talking about?

We're talking about sites that have a hot working set much larger than the
amount of RAM you can fit in a single Varnish instance (i.e., 32-64GB).

Our Varnish servers have ~ 120.000 - 150.000 objects cached in ~ 4GB
> memory and the backends have a much easier life than before Varnish.
> We are about to upgrade RAM on the Varnish boxes, and eventually we
> can switch to disk cache if needed.

If you receive more than 100 requests/sec per Varnish instance and you use a
disk cache, you will die.

--Michael