varnish crashes

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Jan 23 11:27:00 CET 2010

In message <4B5ACD81.3000903 at netmatch.nl>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Angelo_H=F6ngens?= wr
ites:

>We have 4 balancers, each running FreeBSD 7.2 with 'device carp'
>compiled in. I haven't dared upgrade to 8.0 yet, because I had problems
>on my testmachine earlier with ipv6 and carp interfaces on 8.0.

It sounds mostly like a resource issue, but I can't say exactly from
what you have provided.

You can consider increasing the "cli_timeout" parameter a bit
and see if it is simply a matter of a busy machine.

Are you running on 32 bit or 64 bit machines ?

If 32bit, you have to be pretty careful about not overrunning the
VM space available (only approx 2G)

Use FreeBSD's gstat to see what your disk-activity is like,
pay particular attention to the service times (ms/r & ms/w cols)

Also check your varnishlog and varnishstat for signs of trouble...