Varnish extensions for SSO support

Sam Crawford samcrawford at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 23:27:15 CET 2010

Hi Laurence,

Caching personalised content that uses cookies for identification is
already possible with a bit of VCL magic. But, this is cached based
upon a hash of their cookies, so if they open lots of browser sessions
(with different cookies), then you get multiple copies of the content
per user, which is a bad thing!

So yes, if we could effectively put an SSO agent (that could validate
tokens/tickets and extract the authenticated username) then you could
cache on a per user basis (which would also be a use case I'd be
interested in). Or, perhaps even more preferably, cached based upon a
group or role basis (providing that data was made available).

Anyway, I think I'm going to give this a shot. I'll probably start by
trying to write a simple agent that makes calls against Sun's OpenSSO
REST services (as that's where I have the most experience).

Thanks,

Sam