503 Errors on POST

Torrance torrance123 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 07:11:12 CET 2010

Hi all,

(I realise this has been a topic brought up before, but the previous
posts haven't seemed to help my problem.)

I am running a drupal site behind Varnish and when posts or comments are
submitted there's about a 50/50 chance the user will get one of
Varnish's 503 error pages. These errors aren't after waiting a little
while or even a few seconds - they are returned with no delay
whatsoever. I can only presume that this is somehow linked to the fact
that these are POST requests, as the errors do not come up at any other
time.

I have tried the usual suspects by increasing timeout settings. My
default backend settings are:
backend default {
        .host = "127.0.0.1";
        .port = "8080";
        .connect_timeout = 8s;
        .first_byte_timeout = 60s;
        .between_bytes_timeout = 60s;
}

I'm using Varnish 2.0.4.5~bp from debian backports on an otherwise Lenny
system. The backend is apache-mpm-prefork 2.2.9-10 and the client is
drupal 6.14 running on mysql (though I don't expect this matters).

Is there some little trick I'm missing?

Cheers,
Torrance