Varnish constantly restarting

Alexander Staubo alex at bengler.no
Sat Jul 3 23:16:10 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Per Buer <perbu at varnish-software.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Alexander Staubo <alex at bengler.no> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Flavio Torres <fla_torres at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>>> Hi Alexander,
>>>
>>> Have you seen this thread
>>> http://lists.varnish-cache.org/pipermail/varnish-misc/2010-June/004358.html
>>> ?
>>
>> Yes. That threads seems to be about a different problem.
>
> I don't think so. Try it.

I do think so:

(1) The child isn't segfaulting -- it's dying with signal 3 (SIGQUIT),
and only after the parent sends SIGKILL.

(2) I have already increased cli_timeout and decreased the maximum
number of threads, and it's not helping.

(3) The number of threads at the time that the child dies is not high.

After switching to malloc and increasing the cli_timeout, Varnish does
stay up for longer periods of time, but it's still dying at least once
a day.

>> In my case I don't have any panic messages in the log.
>
> You're sure you're looking in the right log?

Yes.

>> Curiously, though, the child is dying with SIGQUIT.
>
> Are you setting diag_bitmap? That would make the master send QUIT.

I'm not.