http purging multiple accept-encoding entries

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Fri Jul 9 13:01:42 CEST 2010

I'm trying to put varnish in front of mediawiki, but there are a couple
things going wrong with the purging support built into mediawiki (which
supposedly supports varnish and squid).

1.  Mediawiki was sending back an HTTP/1.0 PURGE command, which had no
Host: header, just the full url after the PURGE, so the hash function
wasn't matching with the normal HTTP/1.1 requests.  I patched mediawiki
to fix this and send an HTTP/1.1 PURGE with a Host: header, not sure
what a better way to do this would be.

2.  The PURGE does not have an Accept-encoding: on it, so it doesn't
match the cached object, which is almost always A-e: gzip.  I hacked a
gzip header onto the PURGE, but what I really want is to purge all the
records associated with an URL.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Chris