misc questions

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Sat Jul 10 10:58:04 CEST 2010

1.  Is there a way to set the default ttl inside the vcl?

2.  What's the recommended way of "disabling" varnish quickly for
testing?  Can I just return pass at the top of recv and not worry about
other stuff, or do I need to change all the functions?  Or, should I
make a separate vcl file that's just a passthrough and not muck with my
real one?

3.  If I've got mediawiki and wordpress (my two backends) purging
correctly on edit, what should the ttl be on the content pages?  It
seems like I should set it to something high, right?  mediawiki sets it
to 18000s, but wp doesn't set it as far as I can tell from the log.

4.  If I've got varnish working in front of wordpress, I assume I don't
need any of the caching plugins or any other hacks like those, right?

Chris

PS.  I'm on 32 bit CentOS 5.5 and varnish 2.0.6, and varnish seems to be
working fine so far.  In fact, it's blazing fast compared to httpd +
APC, like hundreds of times faster in my tests so far.  It took forever
for me to get my stuff set up the way I want, and I still think I have
wordpress cookie issues, but in siege tests it's just incredibly fast
and uses very little cpu/mem.  The true test will be when I get
redditted again, I guess.