http purging multiple accept-encoding entries

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Sun Jul 11 07:48:07 CEST 2010

Hmm, okay, I switched to purge("req.url == " req.url) and it seems to be
working, but I'm slightly confused as to why...

My two purges look like this:

mediawiki:
    15 RxRequest    c PURGE
    15 RxURL        c http://www.chrishecker.com/Homepage
    15 RxProtocol   c HTTP/1.0
    15 RxHeader     c Connection: Keep-Alive

wordpress + wp-varnish:
    15 RxRequest    c PURGE
    15 RxURL        c /2010/07/09/test-post/
    15 RxProtocol   c HTTP/1.0
    15 RxHeader     c Host: spyparty.com
    15 RxHeader     c Connection: Close

Am I correct in assuming req.url is the same as RxURL?  If so, how are
both the full http://blah url and the /blah url matching the url in the
cache exactly (which is what == means, I assume).  Or, is req.url
expanded to the full url (meaning with the host added), not verbatim
whatever comes in on the header?

My version of varnish (2.0.6) doesn't have the log statement, so I can't
figure out how to put req.url into a header that will get printed to the
log in the purge request so I can find out for myself.  req is not
available in vcl_deliver either, and purge bypasses everything else, etc.

Thanks,
Chris