varnish security

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Mon Jul 12 11:01:42 CEST 2010

> Yes: Protect the directory you specify with the -n argument.

Ah, okay, thanks.  Is that just created with the umask of root or
something on startup?  Maybe the docs for varnishd should mention this?
  I tried searching for various terms "permissions", "security", etc. in
the docs

> I pressume you also bothered to read the vendor response ?

Of course.  I was just pointing out the related thread.

Maybe a wiki page on varnish-cache.org on securing varnish would be
useful here.  It could contain the thing about the file permissions
above, a short discussion of the CLI, etc.  That would help, and
couldn't hurt.

The Husqvarna analogy is slightly flawed since most people can't run

yum install husqvarna

and have one magically appear at their feet, gassed and ready to go.  :)

Chris