Get Bandwidth statistics

Cosimo Streppone cosimo at streppone.it
Mon Jul 12 14:51:26 CEST 2010

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:43:56 +0200, Kristian Lyngstol
<kristian at varnish-software.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 01:36:00PM +0200, Jaap van Arragon wrote:
>
>> There is only one problem, how can we log the used bandwidth used by the
>> varnish daemon? Normally in Apache we can use the access logs but in
>> varnish there is only memory logging.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to get the bandwidth used by a specific daemon?
>
> There are a few different approaches. I'm sure there's some OS-method
> too, but a common way of doing it is reading it from varnishstat, as
> that only
> resets when Varnish restarts. The Munin plugin for Varnish does exactly
> that (among other things).

What about bandwidth limiting?
For one bw intensive service, we had bw limiting (Apache + mod_cband).

Ofc, putting a varnish in front of it is going to bypass bw limiting
mechanisms.

I realize it's probably blasphemy, but
is there a way to limit bw in Varnish?

--