varnish constant hdd write

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at varnish-software.com
Wed Jun 9 10:28:07 CEST 2010

]] Alex F

| Varnish has 1.6GB of virtual memory allocated, 3500 hits, and 119.000
| cached objects. I have started it using "-s
| file,/var/lib/varnish/varnish_storage.bin,2G". Is there any better
| alternative?
| Also, my machine has ran out of ram, should I decrease the allocated memory?

| free -m
|                total        used     free    shared     buffers    cached
| Mem:          3950   3891     58           0         29         2155
| -/+ buffers/cache:   1706    2243
| Swap:       3999       22      3977

You have about 2G of buffer cache, so no, you're not nearly out of
memory.  In general, if you're seeing I/O problems, you should start by
putting the varnish log file (which usually lives in /var/lib/varnish)
on a tmpfs, to prevent Linux from writing that to disk.

Given you're using a 2G storage file on a 4G machine, you probably also
want to use -s malloc rather than -s file.

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Varnish Software