Problems loading directory URLs

Jimmy Theis jimmy at jetheis.com
Mon Jun 21 03:49:00 CEST 2010

I'm new to Varnish and am attempting to use the stock settings for the
FreeBSD ports distribution of the program. So far I'm very happy with
the performance increase I've seen, even without digging down and
tuning, but there is one bit of strange behavior I'm struggling with:

When the url of a directory is requested without a / following it, the
request fails and nothing is returned. However, in all other situations,
including appending the final / to the url, Varnish handles it correctly.

I'm running Apache for Subversion and PHP handling, with nginx on top of
that as a proxy and for hosting static files. Nginx serves on port 8000
and Varnish uses it as its backend. The URL weirdness occurs both when
accessing a directory that nginx serves up and directories inside
Subversion repositories that Apache serves. This behavior is not present
when nginx is listening directly to port 80.

I'm happy to provide extra information if need be. This is a server for
personal projects, so I'm fine tinkering with it if it helps solve the
problem.

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy