WebDAV through Varnish?

Don Faulkner dfaulkner at pobox.com
Wed Mar 24 21:46:24 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm working on a caching and acceleration architecture for a site that implements WebDAV as well as the usual HTTP methods. I'm curious about how Varnish might act if it were used as the caching layer in front of those servers. I asked about this yesterday on the IRC channel, and was told that varnish passes thru all HTTP request methods except for GET, so it shouldn't have any effect, but I was also advised to ask the list, so here I am. :)

If it matters, I'm looking at an architecture that looks something like this:

pound		(to terminate ssl)
haproxy		(maybe not necessary for what I'm doing?)
varnish
servers

At least 2 tier (pound/haproxy/varnish -> servers), and maybe 3 tier (varnish on its own box).
--
Don Faulkner, KB5WPM
All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.