Tracking down sporadic 503 errors

Vladimir vlists at veus.hr
Tue Mar 30 20:32:59 CEST 2010

This is what I have seen as well. I could not pin it down. What made it
somewhat better is adding

     if (obj.status == 503 && req.restarts < 4) {
                 restart;
     }

under vcl_error subroutine. It will rerequest the document however even
with that behavior is still happening though much less :-(. I have
attached some graphs of 500 responses from varnish and corresponding
apache responses. Units are hits per second.

I even looked at corresponding responses from Apache and Apache would
claim that the request succeeded yet varnish would throw a 500.

Vladimir