Varnish fails on boot with Amazon S3 backend

Simon Males sime at sime.net.au
Mon May 3 07:13:33 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm using Varnish 2.0.6 on Ubuntu 9.04 and found that Varnish cannot
be started when the backend is unreachable (obviously). I believe
Varnish is being started before some degree of networking is available
(DNS?). It particularly struggles on Amazon S3, as its the only
backend which doesn't have an IP.  If I attempt to start it again
manually it works fine.

Below I have output the error file, and the VCL with the Amazon backend.

# cat /tmp/*.varnish
storage_malloc: max size 2048 MB.
Message from VCC-compiler:
Backend host '"site.s3.amazonaws.com"': Name or service not known
(/etc/varnish/backends.vcl Line 65 Pos 17)
        .host = "site.s3.amazonaws.com";
----------------#######################-

In backend specification starting at:
(/etc/varnish/backends.vcl Line 64 Pos 1)
backend s3  {
#######------
Running VCC-compiler failed, exit 1
VCL compilation failed