Parsing non-English URLs

Angie T. Muhammad angie.tawfik at gmail.com
Sun May 23 15:17:28 CEST 2010

Hello Varnish team

I have varnish v. 2.1.2 on production and test servers . We are running a
bilingual news website.
On my test server I am trying to parse non-English URLs like follows:

  else if (req.url == "/*تقارير*") {
      set beresp.http.X-Cacheable = "Yes";
      set beresp.ttl = 60m;
      return(deliver);

The word in *bold red* is in Arabic and it is a right-to-left language. The
link can not be made in English and has no English equivalent. In case you
are wondering, the word means "reports". My sole problem now is that varnish
applies all other if-statements with full English URLs but not this one with
Arabiv. Even if I try regex say: *req.url ~ "^/تقارير" *instead of the ==
sign, it starts with no errors but does not apply the rule.

I tried the following:
1- Reversing the letters of the arabic word, so تقارير  would be ريراقت but
it did not work
2- Copying the link directly into /etc/varnish/default.vcl, it produces
something like: %D9%88%D8%B3%D9%88%D9%85%D8%A7%D8%AA
     Such html address handling prevents varnish from starting

Any ideas? Your help is really appreciated.

--
All the best,
Angie