Does varnish support URL UTF-8 encoding?

Angie T. Muhammad angie.tawfik at gmail.com
Thu May 27 10:24:30 CEST 2010

Hello Varnish people

I wonder does Varnish support URL utf-8 encoding?
Non-ASCII urls (Arabic ones in my case) are not understood by Varnish 2.1.2.

To get an idea of what I mean:
1- Try http://www.hypergurl.com/urlencode.html
2- Type non-ASCII characters (Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, any non English language)
3- Choose UTF-8 character encoding
4- Generate the encoded URL

When trying either plain Arabic (non ASCII) or encoded UTF-8 URL in default.vcl:
A) Plain Arabic URL          >   Varnish ignores the rule !!!
B) UTF-8 encoded URL     >   Varnish fails to start up !!!

I am so sad because many people around the globe uses Varnish, yet it
doesn't support URLs in their own languages :(

--
All the best,
Angie